Douglas fir wood is also known as Oregon pine and Colombian pine. Due to the specialty of Douglas fir wood, it has more use than other softwood lumber. It is native to western North America. It is found in large quantities in the area of Europe, New Zealand, and South America. Douglas’s wood color varies from orange to dark red-brown.
The Douglas Fir is globally acclaimed for its exceptional strength-to-weight ratio. It is used in general and unusual purposes such as beams and plywood. Douglas cedar wood is mostly used for glue-laminated beams (glulam).
There is not much need to do to increase the durability of this wood. Because It is naturally durable. It is more durable than other softwoods. Because of the high density and resin content with this wood, it is easier to work with a machine.
Douglas Fir Wood Properties
|Applications||Flooring, boat, siding, ceiling, etc|
- Good strength and practicality
- The machine is easy to work with Douglas fir wood. Curving grows well on this wood.
- Excellent screw and nail holding.
- Having the right amount of moisture.
Douglas Fir Wood Uses
As we know, Douglas fir wood is the perfect wood for wooden work. Douglas Fir Timber can be used in both exterior and interior. So that it can fulfill many needs.
- This is used for door, door’s frames, window frames, beds, small and large tables and Almira.
- No poisonous chemicals are found in this wood. So that’s Douglas Fir Timber is used to make vegetable cutting boards and kitchen platforms.
- Douglas Fir Wood is a long-lasting wood species. So that we can easily use this wood for flooring, which will last for centuries.
- It holds wood polish, paint, and glue well. The sandpaper and polish give it a rich wooden look. So that you can use this wood of wooded wall and indoor wooden art too.
- Millwork: The small piece of fir wood is also quite strong. Leading to considerable use in millwork. Such as Chair Rail, Appliques & Onlays, Wood Crown Molding, Wood Ceiling Medallions, Bun Feet, and much more.
- Douglas Fir Wood lasts long after exposure to water. Therefore, this wood has been in use in boat making, bridge parts, and at the port for a long time.
- Due to its strength, the Douglas-fir is mostly used for building and construction. This wood is protected from the effects of weather for a long time. So that there is the perfect wood for the siding and roof of the house.
- We know that plywood is an important construction material and has the strength of wood. Douglas Fir Wood is used extensively in making plywood.
- Douglas Fir timber is also using for large construction side pay sports. Because it makes the screw and nails a strong base of the grip. That helps a lot in construction.
Advantages of Douglas Fir Wood
Douglas fir is known to be the most robust among softwood varieties. This all-round lumber is also called as it is suitable to use both exterior and interior. Here I am going to share some advantages.
Chemical-free: yes, safety first. Douglas Fir Timber does not have any kind of chemicals to cause any damage to the workers working in the construction.
- Gloves, goggles are not required to avoid contact with harmful chemicals.
- Food does not need to take special precautions to avoid chemicals.
Moisture resistance: We can use it easily wherever we want. It does not absorb water like a sponge And it dries on-site in two weeks when there is moisture.
Strength and Stiffness: Douglas-fir has superior strength and hardness of pine. It is well suited for structural beams, trusses, boats, musical instruments, and roofs.
Decay resistance: High resistance to decay when used in wall framing and siding (but not suited to in-ground or heavy rainy outdoor conditions).
No harmful smoke: Douglas can burn fir wood without any risk. Because the burning of wood does not release any harmful smoke.
Disadvantages of Douglas Fir Wood
Every wood has its own advantages as well as some drawbacks. So we should know before using any wood. Douglas Fir Wood also has some disadvantages which are I am going to share.
Cost: Douglas fir timber is a softwood species. But its price is higher than other softwoods in the market.
Maintenance: Douglas Fir Wood is a softwood so that it can easily be damaged. To protect the wood from rain and sunlight in bad weather, the durability of wood can be increased by applying polish or paint. This is an extra expense.
Read our other articles: