Best Marine Plywood Alternative

Marine-grade plywood is the most versatile, higher-quality material for exterior and marine applications. Marine plywood is the first choice for marine applications. Marine-grade is more expensive and more durable than normal plywood. 

Alternative plywood of marine plywood is also available in the market. These alternative materials are almost as durable as marine plywood. Alternative Plywood is available at a lower price than Marine Plywood.

1. Fiberboard

Fiberboard
Fiberboard

The best alternative material for marine plywood is fiberboard. Fiberboard is a type of engineered wood material. Fiberboard made of wood fibers and waterproof glue. So it performs well in moisture.

There are 3 types of fiberboard.

To make fiberwood, the wood is first broken into small pieces and then mixed with wood glue. Subsequently, hot pressing and drying treatments are used to make fiberboard.

The fiberboard is a strong material. Fiberboard is used to make strong boxes for the parcels. Fiberboard contains 90% wood. The remaining 10% is Glu and wood resin. The bending strength of fiberboard is good and it can withstand moisture well like marine plywood.

2. Fiber Cement Board

Fiber Cement Board
Fiber Cement Board

The fiber cement board made using the Hatschek process. It is a resistance to moisture resistant, termite-proof, sound insulation, heat insulation, and fireproof.

This board is used for commercial and industrial applications. We can also use a fiber cement board with a combination of timber steel and aluminum.

Fiber cement board demands in many constructions. So this is perfect for use for both interior and exterior applications.

The production of cement board (or fiber cement) mainly consists of cellulose fiber, silica, and Portland cement. Cement board does not contain anything harmful material to the environment and human beings.

It is available in the market in size of 2.44 X 1.22 meters and its available in is 4mm, 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 16mm, 18mm, 20mm thickness.

3. Reinforced Polyurethane Foam

Reinforced Polyurethane Foam

The Reinforced Polyurethane Foam is an engineering material. It is a lightweight and strong material. Reinforce Polyurethane flexible foam is used wildly for interior, exterior, and industrial applications. 

Its cells are very close so that it gives low thermal conductivity and less moisture permit.

4. Ribbon Grain Plywood

Ribbon Grain Plywood
Ribbon Grain Plywood

Ribbon-grinded plywood is made by glued several thin wooden layers together. Each layer with its grain at right angles to adjacent layers for greater strength.

Ribbon grain plywood comes in 8 to 10 feet long seats. It can withstand moisture quite well.

5. Weather and Boil Proof (WBP) Plywood

Weather and Boil Proof
Weather and Boil Proof

WBP plywood is made by glued three or more thin veneers together. All the grains of these veneers are at a right angle. Each sheet of plywood consists of an odd number of veneer sheets. WBP plywood is Weather and Boil Proof.

WBP plywood made by Cross-hatching process technology. This process makes stronger and durable plywood. Premium melamine glue used to make WPB plywood. Which withstands for 10 to 20 hours in bowling water.

6. Wood Plastic Composite (WPC)

Wood Plastic Composite
Wood Plastic Composite

Wood-plastic composites made of hybrid materials like wood fibers, and thermoplastics such as PE, PP, PVC, or PLA.  WPC is a durable material.

WPC is still new material but, It is also used for exterior and interior applications.

Wood Plastic Composite plywood used to make for railings, fences, landscaping timbers, cladding and siding, park benches, molding, and trim.

Pro: 

  • WPC is a highly durable material that can easily withstand the bad weather.
  • WPC material can be easily banded So it is easy to use in complex places.
  • The WPC material has a high density, which maintains the nail and screw or good grip
  • It does not require painting after installation, as well as its maintenance and cleaning, is also easy.

Cons:

  • To make WPC, hybrid material used. So there is no texture of wood.

7. Birch plywood

birch plywood

The Birch plywood is a high-quality lightweight, good strength, and durable plywood. Multiple layers of birch veneer are used to make Birch plywood. Multiple Birch veneers are glued together with waterproof glue. Therefore holds excellent properties, its demands in many applications.

The thickness of each winner is 1.4 mm. It holds excellent physical and mechanical properties.

The conclusion:

These are some of the plywood that we have seen. That we can use instead of marine plywood. They use for Plywood exterior and interior applications.

In conclusion, All types of plywood have their own special property. So what do you think about the Marine plywood alternative?

2 thoughts on “Best Marine Plywood Alternative”

Leave a Comment