Wood fillers are used to fill the gaps between wood joints and cracks. However, It is available readymade in the market, but it can be easily made in your home at a low cost and with less material.
Mainly, Three items are required to make a wood filler:
- Fine sawdust
- Wood glue (PVA)
- Clean Water
- Putty knife
- Sand Paper or Electric sander
Step 1: Make Fine Sawdust
Wood sawdust can be easily made at your home.Collect a small amount of fine sawdust from the same species of wood as the piece you’re filling. You can use a sandpaper to sand down the surface and make fine sawdust.
Step 2: Wood Glue (PVA)
We can use any good quality furniture glue. The quality of the glue depends on how quickly the wood filler will dry.
Step 3: Mix the Wood Filler
Mix sawdust and wood glue in a 1:1 ratio in a bowl with the help of a Putty knife. If the blue is too thick, then add water as required. Mix the mixture well so that all the sawdust mixes well with the glue. Wood filler dries very quickly, so make only as much as you need.
How To Use Sawdust as Wood Filler
It is very easy to apply wood filler but to get better results, it must be used properly. Here are the steps to use wood filler on a wood surface:
- Clean the Surface: Clean any dirt, dust, or debris where the wood filler will be applied.
- Apply the Filler: Apply wood filler to gaps, cracks, or holes on the wood surface using a putty knife. Spread it evenly, filling the area.
- Let the Filler Dry: Allow the filler to dry completely, which may take several hours or overnight, depending on the humidity and size of the gape.
- Sand the Surface: Once the filler has dried thoroughly, sand the surface until it is smooth and even with the surrounding wood. Use fine-grit sandpaper and work in the direction of the grain.
- Finish the Surface: Depending on the wood surface and the desired finish, you may need to stain or paint the surface to match the surrounding wood.
Common Questions About Wood Filler
Is Wood Filler Waterproof?
Generally, wood fillers are not waterproof, but they are excellent water resistant. The quality of wood filler depends on the quality of the glue. Well-dried wood filler can withstand moisture.
Waterproof wood fillers are usually made with epoxy or polyurethane and are designed for outdoor use. on the other hand, traditional wood fillers made from PVA (polyvinyl acetate) are not good waterproof.
Is Wood Filler Stainable?
Generally, wood fillers can stain, but it also depends on the type of wood filler. In other words, only some wood fillers are stainable.
Traditional wood fillers made from PVA (polyvinyl acetate) can stain but may not match the color of the surrounding wood exactly. These fillers may also absorb stains differently, resulting in an uneven appearance.
Before staining, make sure that the wood filler is completely dry and the wood area and surrounding wood are smooth.
Read Related Articles
2 thoughts on “How to Make Wood Filler at Home?”